Fine and performing arts
CUPA students may pursue programs in music, fine arts, and performing arts. The program is able to enroll art history majors spending the full academic year in Paris at the legendary École du Louvre, architecture students for the full academic year at ENSAPLV-Paris La Villette, performing arts majors in intensive dance, theatre or mime classes with professionals or semi-professionals, and music majors at Parisian conservatories in addition to private instruction with renowned artists. Because these programs are highly individualized and tailored to students with very specific skills, interested students must contact the program early in the application process to discuss different options and start enrollment procedures on time.
Audrey Dunne, Pomona College — I was utterly thrilled with the opportunity to learn about my favorite subject (music) in French. I have kept a long list of vocabulary that I learned for describing/talking about music.
CUPA offers an exceptional wealth of academic choices through numerous affiliations with institutions of higher education in Paris, and encourages students with a particular interest or project to build their course selection around a specific theme or field of study in all areas. They receive individualized help in finding the resources needed to pursue their interests (specialized libraries, seminars, conferences…) The program also provides the necessary framework for students to engage in independent study projects, if approved by their home university.
Claire Jenson, Oberlin College — Taking graduate-level classes at Nanterre and EHESS and carrying out my own research project was an absolutely amazing opportunity for an undergrad – one that would not have been possible with any other program! I basically tried out graduate school for a year, and my experience fostered my love for medieval art history, and helped me realize what I want to do with my life!
Examples of Special Focus Curricula
Here are a few examples of study programs tailor-made for students with a specific interest:
History Major with a focus on Contemporary Social History
- Les gauches européennes : révolution, contre-révolution, anti-révolution – École Normale Supérieure
- Histoire sociale contemporaine : Immigration et grandes migrations – Université de Paris Ouest – Nanterre-La Défense
- Les régimes autoritaires et totalitaires – Université de Paris Ouest – Nanterre-La Défense
- Introduction à l’histoire des femmes et du genre au XIXe siècle – Université de Paris 8-Saint-Denis
Art History Major with a focus on Medieval Art
- Iconographie Médiévale – Université de Paris Ouest – Nanterre-La Défense
- Approche des grands programmes édilitaires médiévaux – Université de Paris Ouest – Nanterre-La Défense
- Actualités de la recherche en histoire de l’art médiéval – Université de Paris Ouest – Nanterre-La Défense
- La liturgie médiévale occidentale et ses rituels – École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales
- Histoire de l’enluminure du Moyen Âge à la Renaissance – Institut National du Patrimoine
Violin Performance Major
- Peinture française du XIXe siècle : de l’académisme à l’expression de l’individualité – CUPA
- Leçons privées de violin – Private Instruction by David Rivière
- Orchestre – Conservatoire à rayonnement regional de Paris
- Les notations musicales médiévales – Université de Paris-Sorbonne